- Make sure your clothes that are neatly ironed and pressed. Nothing gives away the lack of attention to detail than wrinkled clothing.
- Make sure your clothing fits properly. If your pants or sleeves are too long or something is too loose or too tight you’ll look and probably feel awkward.
- Don’t apply flashy jewelry. You’ll want the interviewer to pay attention to you, not your bling.
- Dress according to the season. Don’t wear a stuffy turtleneck sweater in the middle of the summer.
- Don’t wear perfume or aftershave. You never know, if your interviewer is allergic and this isn’t a good way to find out.
- For men, make sure you shave and keep facial hair to a minimum.
- Make sure that you have a nice, clean haircut that makes you look well groomed.
- For women, don’t wear anything that is too revealing. It’s best to keep your body parts inside your clothing and not be too exposed.
- Avoid articles of clothing with loud, busy prints. It’s best to wear solid colors that flatter your skin tone.
- For women, make sure you wear appropriate lingerie and/or pantyhose underneath your clothing. This will give you smooth lines and assure you don’t have visible panty lines on your backside.
- For women, don’t overdo your makeup. Wear natural colors and avoid heavy eyeshadow, eyeliner and bright colored lipstick.
- For pants outfits, make sure you wear a belt that matches the color of your shoes.
Female interview clothes tips
The interviewer will also assess your ability to dress accordingly and in making a good impression through clothes.
- If you decide on a suit, go for one that compliments your face and hair color. The attention should be on your face. Darker colors such as black, charcoal, navy and grey are appropriate.
- Your skirt should be knee-length and not draw attention to your legs.
- The skirt should fit comfortable.
- If you select a pant suit, make sure that the jacket covers your buttocks.
- The blouse should not shout. Avoid frills, flowers and large effects.
- The blouse should cover your shoulders and the hemline should not be prominent.
- White blouses are almost always appropriate.
- Select a skirted suit or pant suit that draws the eye to your face. The suit should be dark blue, gray or charcoal.
- Shoes should be closed and neat. Avoid open tip shoes or any shoe that shows the ankle.High heels are appropriate.
- If you carry a briefcase, leave the handbag at home or in the car.
- The briefcase should not draw attention and should compliment your attire.
- General rule for accessories ? no loud bangles and large earrings. Avoid thick chains.
- If you wear a scarf, select one that doesn't draw attention to itself.
- When you wear make up it should look natural ? no red lipsticks and bright eye shadows.
- Wear natural color nail polish.
- If you have long hair, and it still looks neat when not taken up, you can wear it like that.
- Avoid fashion statements through your hair.
- Only wear a light perfume. If in doubt, go without.